Friday, June 5, 2015

Meanderings

It seems I have fallen off the 'regular' blogging wagon. But our schedule was rearranged by my trip to Vermont and I just can't seem to get my act back together. We have been busy but I haven't taken many photos lately.

So today I think I'll do a little photo stream from our Iphones.

Love my rose bush.  Just covered in blossoms a month ago.

This park is just a half mile from our house.  It has a paved pathway and a frisbee golf course.  I think we will use it a lot this summer as it is very shady and cool. Las Vegas has an intricate run-off water system.  It doesn't rain often but when it does it usually pours down hard and fast.  Flash flooding is a big issue. They have worked very hard over the past ten years building gigantic holding basins and waterways to channel the fast water.  This park is one of the waterways that doubles as a park but you wouldn't want to be in it during a storm.  One of the holding basins is a soccer/sports park.




Here is an aerial view of the park.

The night before I left for Vermont we tried out Pieology in Downtown Summerlin.  Think Subway meets Pizza Hut.  But much better.  You order at the counter.  Pick the kind of crust you want, then the sauce and then the toppings.  Five minutes later your fresh from the oven pizza is delivered to your table! Amazing.




While I was in Vermont I stayed with my parents. Occasionally they dog sit for my brother, David's dog, Holly.  She's not spoiled by my dad or anything. Here she is waiting to get her "treat"!


The view from my parent's front deck.
Mom making supper.  She is doing very well healing from a broken hip.
She made my favorite cake. Angel food with maple frosting!!!!
Dad took me for a ride on his all terrain vehicle. We stopped for a look at the new "Marriott" hotel which replaced the condemned "Motel 6".  The members of my family are old time Vermont woodsmen/hunters.  This is a tree stand just completed by my older brother, Bruce.  I was impressed by the real windows, shingled roof and deluxe staircase!

Had dinner one evening with my sister, Marj and brother-in-law, Bruce. They raise chickens. Pets really!

The Boss!


I got a little dose of cat affection from one of Marj's cats.  (Don't tell Taigo!)


Apple blossoms in the front yard on my evening walk.
One of the things I enjoyed doing while helping Jordan was taking his black lab Riley for daily walks. She enjoyed the walks as well.  She thought I was pretty slow and she patiently waited for me at every landing!

While I was gone Dan kept an eye on things in Las Vegas.  He went on walks, took care of the cats (I won't share the photographic evidence of litter box cleaning) and went on a road trip to Ontario, California.
We have been keeping an eye on this agave plant for a couple of months.  It finally blossomed while I was gone. When we saw it the other night there were seed pods on the top.



Dan and I belong to the Order of the Eastern Star.  An international fraternal organization that raises money for charity. We recently joined the Sunrise Chapter located in Henderson.  They are a very active group.  Dan was invited to attend a meeting in California with Patty, the Worthy Matron of our Chapter.  They had a great trip.

Dan, Michelle and Patty
Last weekend we rode down to Bullhead City in Arizona with Sister Barbie to attend an Eastern Star Meeting there.  Lots of fun.  We know two people form Vermont who attend that Chapter. It was about 105 when we arrived at 1:30 pm.


On Memorial Day we headed to Summerlin Center for breakfast at Egg Works.  After breakfast I showed Dan a water community that I had recently visited with my neighbor, Marie. The area is called Desert Shores.  Big money to live here!  All man-made "lakes". Very pretty.  We are going to ride our bikes there some day.




We went for a walk in Hualapai Canyon two nights ago and I really wished I had my good camera with me!  There were two coyotes hunting down in the canyon below us.  We would have missed seeing them but an ambulance went flying by siren blaring and the coyotes howled in sympathy.
I should note that jsut before the howling started we noticed two rabbits and a jack rabbit zipping by. They knew the coyotes were in the area first. Here is a short video Dan took of them.


I have started tatting again. (Decided I was wasting too much time on video games!) When I was in Vermont I noticed that the pillow cases on my bed had tatted edging.  I took at photo of it.  My mom doesn't remember where they came from but I thought that edging was something I could do when I got back to Las Vegas.

The tatted edging on my mom's pillow case.

Fig. 88 is almost a match.
My work.
Only need 22 more repeats of the pattern needed!
Had a little excitement on Tuesday as Taigo decided to go on a walk-about! He slipped out the gate of our backyard when the painters showed up without warning to paint the gate!  All of a sudden I realized the gate was open and Taigo was nowhere to be found.  After trying to question the painter, who knew no English we started searching the green-way behind our house. He hadn't gone far thankfully and we rounded him up three houses away.  Then we began searching for Sage as well. Turns out she was shut inside our pantry (be careful where your decide to take a nap, Sage).  We put collars on them for the afternoon ... just in case.


Freedom just on the other side of a slim pane of glass!
We saw Mad Max: Fury Road and San Andreas recently.  San Andreas opens with the destruction on the Hoover Dam.  Dan did not think that was a good way to start the movie. ; )  I said we'd be ok if that happened.  We live upstream.  But I'm pretty sure we'd be thirsty.  

I guess that is it for my meanderings for the past few weeks.  We are headed out to meet some friends for a late lunch at Crab Corner.  A new restaurant for us.  Hope it's good.  Tonight there is a free concert at a local park.  80's music.  Should be fun.

It's all about the journey.

Have a great weekend.
Love, Nancy and Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment