Friday, September 12, 2014

Settling In


Sooo. We've been busy. Finally everything came together and we got the keys to our new home late afternoon on Tuesday, September 2. YAY!
Wednesday was a day of cleaning and getting things lined up. Dan rented a ladder from Home Depot so I could wash the walls. 

Those ceilings are pretty high! (It took gallons and gallons of water to clean up a smoker's home!) 
Dan had a long honey-do list. Most important was getting a mesh covering for the back gate. 




The kitties are so happy. They love being outside!

We checked out of Extended Stay America bright and early Thursday morning, our first delivery was scheduled for 8 am. Dan's office furniture finally showed up at 11!


But in the meantime the Cox cable guy showed up to install our internet. Shortly after that the moving van arrived as well as Moving Brothers. Steve and 'Teller?' helped us unpack. (I can't remember his name but Dan called him Teller because he never said a word! Haha)


A lot of the boxes were somewhat crushed. We think a month in storage in the Nevada heat had something to do with the boxes failing.


We had to park in the driveway for a few days. 

On Saturday as we were trying to clear the garage I had a minor mishap and we got to check out the local medical facility. Summerlin Hospital is a short five minute drive. (Note to self: put broken glass in something solid before you put it in a trash bag!) 


A little glue and we were back in business. (I really should have had a stitch or two as the glue failed in a day. Dr. Mom is now treating it with steri strips and liquid bandage.) 

Just had this little visitor as I am sitting on the patio to write the blog.

A week has passed now and we are much more settled. We love our new kitchen table. Perhaps I will actually start cooking at home soon so we can use it.  ; ) 
We bought it and some room dividers at The Furniture Place on South Rainbow. 


We visited Barry at Jubilee Furniture in Chinatown to purchase the reclining love seat. There are actually USB ports in the console of the couch. Too funny. Probably be obsolete in a couple of years!


Dan's office. He's in there working right now.


The cats are stylin' with their new planter litter box. They don't kick nearly as much litter on the floor. Sweet!


Here are a few shots of our new place.




The Vermont Room is now ready for guests!


We still have a few more things to do like hanging pictures but we are quite comfortable for now. 

I had to go buy a vacuum cleaner to replace my central vac. Just in time too. After historic rain here (more about that in a minute) we discovered about a million teeny tiny red ants everywhere inside the house! The new Dyson and Ortho Home Defender spray took care of the problem! Thank God. They were disgusting!

On Monday the Las Vegas area and areas east of here received historic amounts of rain. 4 inches in some places in a very short amount of time. Parts of Interstate 15 northeast of the city were completely washed away. The rain came from what was left of a hurricane in the Pacific. The crews are working round the clock trying to rebuild the road so they at least have one northbound and one southbound lane open! It reminded me so much of hurricane Irene.


My new neighbor, Marie, invited me to join the community book club Wednesday evening. Such fun! Even though I hadn't finished reading 'The Husband's Secret' by Laine Moriarty I was able to participate and most importantly meet some of my other neighbors. (I only had one day's notice on the book so thanks to Kindle I was able to read about half before we met.)

Marie was a school guidance counselor. I think we will have lots to talk about when I have a bit more time. There was a professor, a game publisher and an author in the book club as well.

Yesterday, Thursday, we spent most of the day getting our Nevada licenses and registering our car. 


Apparently there are perks to being a 'local'. Discounts on tickets, food and entrance fees. I am happy because now I can go get my library card!!!!

Wow I guess that is enough for today. The kitties and I say have a nice day. 


It's all about the journey.

Nancy and Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment