Monday, January 12, 2015

Normal Life

2015 is well underway. No big adventures together this week. We are quite happy to be here enjoying 70 degree weather and send sympathy to our northern friends (not to mention you guys in Florida and Texas). Many people asked Dan why we were moving, he says to be here and not there during the winter is why!  


I understand from the weather guys here that 70 is a little above normal for January (but we'll take it). Back to normal this week in the 50's and 60's. 

Dan took himself off on a little adventure on Friday. He hopped on the double-decker city bus which stops on Charleston not far from our home. 





Not many people on the bus at 9:30 am. He rode all the way down to Fremont Street.


Fremont is pretty dead at 10:30 am! For 5 dollars he can ride all day. 

While Dan was on the scenic tour I was taking care of New Years Resolutions. Found a primary care doctor and an eye doctor. One a mile away and one 4 miles away. Happy with both so far. New glasses ordered. High definition digital! I shouldn't have any trouble spotting aliens  next time we head out to Area 51! 


Dinner out on Friday with my sister's family. We went to Icabods east of the Strip. One of Auntie's favorite restaurants. Loved visiting with my niece and her boyfriend and my nephew, in town for a few days. 

Two metro officers were having dinner near us. Earlier this week I had seen something about Friday being National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day. Here was a chance to let a couple of officers know they were appreciated. We paid their tab. We hear of a few officers with questionable behaviors but I for one wouldn't want to live in a world without their help. 


Our next-door neighbor, Marie, is having some work done in her townhouse (we share a wall). One day we listened to them remodeling her bathroom. Later in the week she discovered that her floor was not level enough for the new flooring. So we have been listening to someone grinding down the cement for 3 days.  It's not really too loud but we will be glad for her when it is finished. 

Sunday was a rainy day. First one in a while. Summerlin received about a half inch. 

Rare visual.

Cottonwood Canyon


There was actual water in the wash in the canyon across the street from our house.! 

Poor Las Vegas. The police reported 150 traffic accidents with 100 people transported to hospitals in the area. The streets here turn slick just like ice when water hits them. And just like the first snowfall in Vermont people forget how to drive safely. We made a short trip to my sister's house for turkey dinner taking the roads less traveled. No problem other than water covering a few intersections.

More work on my resolutions occurred on Wednesday. I joined a newcomers club made up of women who have moved here within the last ten years. They have tons of monthly social activities I can join. Hiking tomorrow, if the weather is good. I should say not too cold for longer term Las Vegans!
I also signed up at a city run recreation facility. They offer yoga, Zumba, sculpt, Tai Chi, Pilates and dance classes all for the bargain price of $16.20 A MONTH! Yay. It's just a mile from my house. Bonus.

Dan came down with a miserable cold on Friday. He is working today and containing his germs to one area so as soon as I finish this blog entry I will be sanitizing the house. I totally don't want his cold. All good so far but time will tell. 


Dan says 'Go Patriots!' Sorry Cowboy and Bronco fans. Better luck next year. I say, "Bring on the Super Bowl Commercials!"

Have a great week everyone. Stay warm wherever you are!

It's all about the journey!

Nancy and Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment